YONEX JAPAN OPEN 2009 - Chong Wei, Gade, Taufik gear up for rough days ahead

China’s World Championships silver medalist was the latest big name to withdraw but as far as Lee Chong Wei, the world No 1, and Peter Gade, Europe’s leading player, are concerned, the YONEX Japan Open 2009 will still be a tough tournament to win.

And with Indonesia’s Taufik Hidayat also in the fray, the tournament is already packing in the fans even as Tuesday was only Qualification day.

“It will still be a tough tournament, with Peter Gade, Lee Chong Wei and many others but I will still try to win this title that I have never won,” said Taufik at a press conference in Tokyo on Tuesday.

He wasn’t the only one to voice out his concern about the men’s singles draw.

“The men’s single category is very tough from the very early rounds. I’ve won a couple of times here, but that was a long time ago. Let’s see if I can make it this time,” added Gade, who was also asked by the local press what his advice would be for Kenichi Tago, Japan’s No 1 player, who was also present at the press conference.

“I think Tago is a very talented player, but in this category, what he will need most is the will to fight, over and over. And to be prepared for the highs and the lows in his career, and always keep fighting and enjoying the game. That’s my secret – if I lasted so long, it is mainly because I just love the game,” said Gade, to a nodding assembly.

Chong Wei, on his end, showed some joyful spirit with his best buddy Taufik next to him, but obviously, an old injury seem to be troubling him. “I’ve felt some pain in my knee while I was training this morning, so, I don’t know how hard I can play, but I will try my best,” said the Malaysian, whose first round is amongst one of the toughest, with last Sunday’s runner up Boonsak Ponsana.

With Chen Jin’s withdrawal, Gade now looks the strong favourite to make it to the semi final, even if Bao Chunlai remains in his quarter and the in-form Nguyen should benefit from Chen’s withdrawal to make it to the quarters as well.

The highlight of the qualifying day was the loss of Jang Soo Young to one of Japan’s biggest hopes. The Korean was celebrating her birthday on Tuesday, but she couldn’t hope for a worst day as her tiny opponent, 17-year-old Misaki Mastutomo, saw her off with her tricky net play and fighting spirit.

The high school girl was all smiles when she delivered and went on to another win over her compatriot Kusunose to enter the main draw. “I hadn’t played well last year as I was nervous, but this year I have more confidence,” said the teenager.

Wang Xin, who was once again going through the qualifying round in spite of being known as one of the future’s brightest hopes, had enough time to adjust the big hall’s condition to prepare for her tournament.

She is expected to go quite far after she stunned some top guns the past few weeks. Korea’s Bae Seung Hee, also, had a rather easy day with two clean victories, which entitles her to play Pi Hongyan of France.

Posted by Lucas Liau on 9:04 AM. Filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0

0 comments for �YONEX JAPAN OPEN 2009 - Chong Wei, Gade, Taufik gear up for rough days ahead�

Post a Comment
ShaShinKi.com - Malaysia's Online Camera Shop!

dailyvid

FLICKR PHOTO STREAM

2010 BlogNews Magazine. All Rights Reserved. - Designed by SimplexDesign