Hendrawan believes under-fire charges will prove their worth

KUALA LUMPUR: National coach Hendrawan has only been in Malaysia for six months.

And what a testing six months they have been as the Indonesian tried to meet the high expectations of a nation clamouring for more shuttlers of calibre in the men’s singles department.

But, contrary to what others believe, the former world champion has not given up faith on his players just yet.

His elite and back-up players – Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Kuan Beng Hong, Tan Chun Seang, Chan Kwong Beng, Liew Daren and Mohd Arif Abdul Latif – came under fire following below par performances at the Malaysian Open in Bukit Jalil recently.

Hendrawan: ‘In Malaysia, everyone wants immediate results.’

Only Wei Feng achieved a breakthrough by reaching the quarter-finals, before succumbing tamely to Thailand’s Boonsak Ponsak.

Hendrawan admitted that training the Malaysian players had been the toughest since he began coaching in 2004.

He was, however, optimistic that his current batch of players would see the fruit of their hard labour — soon.

“I started out as the Indonesian women’s singles coach in 2004. That was also a tough job but, fortunately, it was a long-term project and I had enough time to whip the players into shape,” he said.

One of his charges — Maria Kristin Yulianti — won a bronze medal at the Beijing Olympic Games.

And when he took charge of the Indonesian men’s singles players, Sony Dwi Kuncoro achieved his career best by reaching the men’s singles final at the 2007 World Championships in Kuala Lumpur.

“In Malaysia, it is a different challenge altogether. Everyone wants immediate results. But, as a coach, I am trying to take one step at a time,” said Hendrawan.

“But I understand the situation here. Everyone wants to know who is next after (Lee) Chong Wei. Naturally, the pressure falls on the back-up shuttlers.

“I came here with the confidence of making a change and I still have that confidence.”

Hendrawan said that there had been pockets of improvements among his players.

“Hafiz is the most improved. Unfortunately, he did not meet his semi-final target (at the Malaysian Open) despite giving his best in training. As a player before, I understand Hafiz’s predicament,” said Hendrawan.

“It is time to move on. We have to refocus and look towards our preparation for the Thomas Cup Finals (in May). Hafiz will get a chance to regain his confidence at the German Open and All-England.”

Hendrawan said he would also continue to emphasise on the back-up players in a bid to close the gap on Chong Wei.

“All of them have their own strengths and weaknesses. I have no preferences as I believe all of them have an equal chance of making it. All they have to do is to work hard,” he said.

All six of Hendrawan’s charges will compete in the German Open, which will be held on March 2-7.

Hafiz and Beng Hong will also compete in the All-England (March 9-14) while the other four are on the waiting list.

Posted by Lucas Liau on 8:42 AM. Filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0

0 comments for �Hendrawan believes under-fire charges will prove their worth�

Post a Comment
ShaShinKi.com - Malaysia's Online Camera Shop!

dailyvid

FLICKR PHOTO STREAM

2010 BlogNews Magazine. All Rights Reserved. - Designed by SimplexDesign